Have you ever wondered how to make a chocolate hazelnut spread at home? It’s actually quite easy and not as difficult as you might imagine. All you need is an oven and a food processor and you are good to go.
Why not just buy Nutella?
Well of course you can, but this chocolate hazelnut spread is BETTER than Nutella. Yes you heard that right. In this recipe I use only toasted hazelnuts and pure dark chocolate with a little bit of sugar and salt to make the best chocolate hazelnut spread. The results are rich and delicious with an intense chocolate flavour that you cannot find in store bought Nutella.
Also my recipe does not use cheap palm oil which is a contributor to the destruction of the rainforest and a catalyst for climate change. And this recipe is completely plant-based vegan!
What can you use it for?
- Mix with chopped nuts and bananas to make a quick dessert
- Spread it over cakes, cookies and brownies
- Use it on toast
- Banana bread
Chocolate Hazelnut Spread - Vegan Nutella
- Food processor
- Metal bowl
- Metal baking tray
- 100 g hazelnuts peeled
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 75 g dark chocolate high quality, 70% or higher
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Set the oven temperature to 190°C/375°F. Toast the hazelnuts until a deep dark brown colour is formed. Approx. 8 minutes. Immediately transfer the toasted hazelnuts off the hot tray to a plate to cool. Add the salt while they are still hot.
- Heat up a small pan with high sides and fill ⅓ with water (make a double boiler). Chop the chocolate roughly and place in a metal bowl over the hot water to gently melt.
- Meanwhile blitz the hazelnuts with the sugar in the food processor until a hazelnut butter is formed. Add the melted chocolate and continue to blend.
- Store in a sealed mason jar at room temperature for up to 3 days. The lack of dairy in this recipe prolongs the shelf life.