Nothing screams spring more than fresh peas. I just love em’. Here’s an easy little salad you can make that is super healthy and definitely tasty. Works really well for any BBQ and tastes even better outside.
Little Gem and Bacon Salad
- salad spinner
- 2 Big handfuls Super Fresh Snap Peas
- 2 Heads Little Gem/Baby Romaine lettuce Washed, cored and cut into quarters
- 200 g Bacon lardons
- 3 Tbsp Kefir Or buttermilk
- 1 Tsp Dijon mustard
- Sea Salt
- Black pepper
- 1 Whole Lemon juiced
- Ice water
- Clean your snaps peas with a small pairing knife from top to bottom. Get a big pot of salted water going. In the meantime render out your bacon lardons (cook them slowly and the fat will slowly release).
- It’s important to not that bacon sometimes contains nitrites which are not healthy for you and even more dangerous when they are burned. So really try to cook the bacon slowly and carefully without burning. Once the bacon is nicely crispy, place on paper towel and save the rendered fat (we will use this for the dressing ;))
- Once your pot of water is boiling ferociously, get a big bowl of ice water ready keep it beside the boiling water. Blanch your peas in the boiling water for about 2 minutes or until you think they nicely cooked and immediately place in the ice water. You never want green vegetables to be warm, only super hot or super cold. This stops the enzyme inside the green vegetables from working and turning your vegetables grey. Green is good.
- Make a nice dressing by adding your kefir, mustard, half the lemon juice in a bowl. Take your bacon fat (slightly cooled, but still liquid) and slowly whisk this into the kefir bowl with the olive oil. Taste and decide if there should be more fat, salt or lemon.
- Now mix everything together in a bowl and enjoy. Finish with a good amount of fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoy!